Thursday, April 24, 2008

Hoping...

I really really really would love to get to the Gold Coast in July for the half marathon. I've never been to a big running festival and the GC has the rep for being one of the best in Australia. I couldn't imagine anything more exciting than having people line the streets cheering you on as you run past, or crawl. Cost was a factor, considering I'm going to Brisbane in only 3 weeks, then this would be 6 weeks after. But I did some sleuthing and realised that my business could sponsor me to run there! HA! How easy - just wear something with my logo on so it's legitimate, get some happy snaps, and do some mingling with other fitness people, all as a tax deduction. After all I'm there to 'learn' ;) (If any accountants or ATO officials happen to stumble across this, please don't correct me if I'm wrong, I'm happy with my theory!! )

So now the only issue is THE injury...
Coming up is May 11th - 28kms and then June 1st - local half. That's a lot of stress on the bod with only a few weeks recovery between. I still have this silly foot concern. I did as the boss said and rested for a few days, have been icing and putting as much goo and gunk on it as I can. I can feel it just a bit only when I run, but nothing like after the 23kms a few weeks ago. So me thinks it's just the prolonged impact that makes it scream. After the 23kms I thought it was a stress fracture, but I think I would be in a lot more pain during and after running and unable to run at all if that was the case. Maybe it is just a strain from my high heels, as my masseuse originally thought. I'm going to get Amy's opinion... as she's a podiatrist maybe she can give me some advice. I know, I know, I should just see a doctor. But they'll only tell me to rest and ice it... which I'm doing already! However, I'm not that silly, if symptoms persist....

3 comments:

Kek said...

*looks around for ATO officials*

Sounds perfectly legit to me.

So, do you mean that when you run in Mackay, nobody stands in the street and cheers you on? Oh....

You could always wait, give your foot a rest, and come do the Melbourne Marathon in October. free accommodation and all that. :o)

Lyndsay said...

Hope that foot starts behaving itself for you.

The Melbourne Marathon sounds like another good choice... or you could do both!

Andrea said...

Hi Selina,

I am planning on going to Melbourne for the marathon in October. If I do Gold Coast it will just be for a training run really as I will be at around the 21k point in training by then.

I'm not really sure about the shirts - I think that they may be too expensive for suce a few shirts. We need to come up with something though. I just don't really know what.

andjxx